Share Us On:

Uncontested Divorce and Matrimonial Settlement Agreements, How to Settle Your Divorce Case Sooner than Later in New Jersey

Dec 18, 2013 @ 05:05 PM — by Michael Green

The key to settling any divorce case is to draft a matrimonial or property settlement agreement with all the terms of your divorce.  Upon agreement by the parties to a MSA or PSA, the parties may schedule with the Court an uncontested hearing date and the divorce may be put through.  Until you have agreed to the terms of your divorce, the case will have to be litigated.  If you wish to have an uncontested divorce, you will have to determine and agree upon your terms of divorce prior to when the courts require you to begin litigating the case as the court does not allow your case to sit on the docket.  If it is not prosecuted, it will ultimately be dismissed by the courts.

A matrimonial settlement agreement includes all the terms of your divorce, including terms regarding equitable distribution of property, alimony, child support, child custody, division of debts and assets, tax filings, tax liens, valuation of businesses and their distribution, property appraisals, sale or refinancing of marital residences, college tuition and expense payments, payments for children extracurricular activities, distribution of vehicles and/or loan payments, QDROs or division of pensions and retirement accounts, such as 401ks and IRAs.

If the parties are amicable, they can often talk through much of the terms they are seeking with the assistance of their attorneys and come to an agreement of terms.  If further negotiation is necessary, it may require discovery or an exchange of documents by the parties and the filing and exchange by the parties of their Case Information Statements.  The CIS is a form that the Courts require be filed that includes the income, assets and liabilities of the parties.

At Green & Associates, we assist our clients by drafting the Matrimonial Settlement Agreements with their proposed terms of settlement in an attempt to settle the case when possible.  If the parties are not in agreement and the case must be litigated, Green & Associates fights for their clients every step of the way to obtain settlements or verdicts by the Court that our clients seek.

Call us now at 732-390-5900 or 201-242-1119 , so we can help draft your terms of divorce into a Matrimonial Settlement Agreement that best serves you and your family.


Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.