Share Us On:

Divorce and Payment of Counsel Fees - Who Pays?

Aug 18, 2015 @ 03:03 PM — by Michael Green

It is often asked, who is to pay my counsel fees, during divorce litigation.  In situations where there is a large disparity in income, generally the spouse making the most money may have an obligation to pay the counsel fees for the other party who makes less income.  

Often in pendente lite motions, a litigation fund is requested for the party that is seeking support.  In New Jersey, a litigation fund may be ordered so that both parties have an equal opportunity to litigate the case and to keep a level playing field.

In addition, if a party litigates in bad faith, a party may seek legal fees, which are often sought in a motion for other issues.

If you require legal representation in your divorce and do not have the funds to litigate your case, call us at Green & Associates at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office, or 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office to set up a free consultation for your divorce.





Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.