Share Us On:

Divorce and Flat Fees - What You Should Know

Aug 21, 2015 @ 10:40 AM — by Michael Green

At Green & Associates, we offer flat fees for default divorces, annulments and limited uncontested divorces.  Call our office at 732-390-0480 in East Brunswick or 201-242-1119 in Fort Lee, to set up your free consultation regarding an uncontested divorce and ask us about our flat fees for a divorce.  We have night appointments as well.

Flat fees may be offered for specific services in a divorce.  A default divorce where there are no assets to be distributed i.e. no equitable distribution, no alimony or child support at issue may be obtained even if your spouse cannot be located or is not choosing to participate in the process through different avenues of service such as publication service.  An annulment may likewise lend itself to a flat fee.  Limited uncontested divorces where the parties are amicable and agreeable on the terms of the divorce may also lend themselves to a flat fee structure.  A property or matrimonial settlement agreement will likely be necessary where there is equitable distribution of assets such as retirement accounts or a marital residence, alimony to be paid and/or child support and child custody issues to be defined.

If what appears to be an uncontested matter becomes a contested matter because the parties cannot agree on the terms of the divorce, hourly services are generally then necessary.  Services such as discovery, where there is document production and document requests, would be done hourly, but, generally, those services are only as costly and time consuming as the size of your estate and the terms at issue.  Thereafter, the Court requires that the parties participate in Early Settlement Panel, Economic Mediation, intensive settlement conference with the Judge and finally a trial.  At any point in time, the parties may choose to settle and agree upon terms in a Property or Matrimonial Settlement Agreement and the divorce may be put through without a trial.  At trial, the Court will decide the issues of the divorce and the parties will have to follow the Court's decision.

Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.