Share Us On:

Divorce and the Final Hearing - The Final Judgment of Divorce

Sep 16, 2015 @ 07:43 AM — by Michael Green

Generally, if the parties have settled all of their issues through a Property or Matrimonial Settlement Agreement, then all that is left to do if have the divorce put through with the Courts.  The parties are now uncontested as they have agreed upon all the terms of their divorce regarding equitable distribution, alimony, child support and child custody.  If this is the case, the parties must now go on the record before the Court and state for the record that they understand the agreement and all of its terms, that they were not coerced in any manner into signing the agreement, that they understand they are waiving their right to trial, that the court may have decided all the issues, but they are going forward with the terms of the agreement and that as to the terms of alimony, waiver or not, they will be able to maintain a lifestyle reasonable comparable to that of the marriage or regardless, they wish to go forward with the terms of the agreement.  If you wish to go forward with your divorce, call Green & Associates at 732-390-0480 at our East Brunswick office or at 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office for a free consultation. NIght appointments are available.

The court then incorporates the agreement into the Judgment of Divorce and the parties are divorced.  The Court executes a Judgment of Divorce and a gold seal is placed on the Judgment of Divorce.  If a party wishes to have their named changed at the time of divorce they may do so as well, so long as they are not doing so to avoid any warrants, creditors or arrests and solely for personal reasons.  The name change is incorporated into the Judgment of Divorce.

Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.