Share Us On:

Divorce and Service of the Complaint When Whereabouts of a Defendant are Unknown

Nov 3, 2015 @ 12:48 PM — by Michael Green

In certain instances, a party wishes to divorce another when the whereabouts of the other party are in question.  Generally, in that instance, the Plaintiff must file their complaint for divorce and attempt to serve the other party at their last known address, if unsuccessful, the Plaintiff may request that the Court allow substituted service by publishing in a local newspaper, this is done by filing a motion with the Court.  Generally, the Court needs to believe that due diligence has been done by the Plaintiff in an attempt to locate the Defendant.  The divorce may proceed by default after alternative service has been accomplished.  If you have such a situation, please call Green & Associates divorce lawyers in our East Brunswick office at 732-390-0480 or in our Fort Lee office at 201-242-1119 for a free consultation.  Night and weekend appointments and flat fees for certain services are available.

Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.