Share Us On:


Green & Associates, LLC Blog

A New Year and a New Divorce, Really? What does that mean?

Dec 31, 2015 @ 09:01 AM — by Michael Green

If you are planning to become divorced in 2016, it has ramifications for a whole host of things that deal with your economic well-being.  First, you can no longer file jointly on your taxes in the tax year you are divorced.  Second, you have to determine, if there is still a marital residence where the mortgage and property taxes are being paid, who is going to take those deductions, the Husband or the Wife.  Third, in terms of spousal support, if it is being paid, it is a deduction for the party paying for alimony, and taxable income to the party receiving alimony.  Here's wishing you good luck and good fortune in the New Year, from Green & Associates, your divorce law and family law, New Jersey divorce lawyer and divorce attorney practice with an NJ divorce lawyer and NJ divorce attorney available to assist you in your divorce law and family law needs.

If You Have Been Served Divorce Papers, a Summons and Complaint, What to Do

Dec 30, 2015 @ 03:16 PM — by Michael Green

If you have been served divorce papers, generally, a summons and complaint for divorce, you have 35 days to answer or you will be in default and the other party may go forward without you and name their own terms for the divorce. So, it is important that you answer the complaint prior to going into default. After you answer, you are in the case and may go about the business of trying to settle on terms in a marital agreement or matrimonial agreement or property settlement agreement. Your agreement will contain all the terms of your divorce, including terms for child custody, child support, alimony, and equitable distribution of property. If you have been served, call us now for a free consultation, weekends and nights are available..

Happy New Year from Green & Associates, Divorce and Family Law Practice!

Dec 29, 2015 @ 10:43 AM — by Michael Green

Here at Green & Associates, your divorce and family law practice, in East Brunswick and Fort Lee, we wish everyone a Happy New Year!  We are here to serve all of your needs in family law and divorce, including as divorce lawyers and family lawyers and divorce attorneys and family law attorneys, child support, custody, alimony, equitable distribution, marital agreements, domestic violence, paternity, and all other divorce and family law issues.  We are serving in the surrounding area in Middlesex and Bergen counties most counties in the State of New Jersy.  So, if you are looking for a NJ divorce lawyer or a NJ divorce attorney, or are looking for flat fees for certain services such as a limited uncontested divorce or default divorce or annulment,

Divorce and Family Law around Christmas and New Years, We're Available for Consultations, Ask Us About Our Flat Fees

Dec 23, 2015 @ 02:03 PM — by Michael Green

Divorce and Family Law around Christmas and New Years, Ask Us About Our Flat Fees.  Generally, around this time of year, issues of divorce or family law are difficult for parties to deal with.  But, there are those that which to move forward with these issues in anticipation of the New Year.  For those that do, Green & Associates offers flat fees or flat rates for limited uncontested divorces and for certain other services such as certain postjudgment motions.  If you are thinking about moving forward with a divorce or motion, call us in our East Brunswick or Fort Lee office at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 for a free consultation.  We are available during the holiday season, including divorce lawyer and divorce attorney and family lawyer, Michael Green, and will be in the office this week and next week to answer your questions or to schedule consultations.

Divorce and Child Support - Paying Direct to a Former Spouse v. Paying Direct to the Probation Department v. Wage Garnishment

Dec 22, 2015 @ 04:16 PM — by Michael Green

Child support is generally paid through the probation department of the courts, a state entity, that is essentially a state disbursement unit or SDU.  If the parties agree otherwise, it may be paid directly from one party to the other.  if you are paying through probation, you may pay direct to probation or you may have your wages garnished by probation.  Either way, the money is received from probation and then disbursed to the custodial parent.  The non-custodial parent is paying the child support.  

Contesting a Divorce, What Does It Mean? Going to Trial.

Dec 20, 2015 @ 09:20 PM — by Michael Green

Contesting a Divorce, what does it mean?   Generally, it means not settling, but, not necessarily never settling.  If parties are amicable in a divorce they may settle their case almost immediately and agree on all terms of their divorce in a property or matrimonial settlement agreement.  If, however, the parties do not settle their case, the courts generally require that the parties continue litigating their case through a number of processes.  The first is discovery, where the parties discover through discovery requests of each other in the form of a notice to produce and interrogatories, questions regarding marital assets, debts, custody, child support, and equitable distribution, what the parties have in terms of assets and property and what they want in terms of custody and parenting time.  Generally, a court orders the timing of discovery through a case management conference and case management order. 

Divorce and Substance Abuse - Alcoholism and Narcotic Abuse - Oxycotin

Dec 17, 2015 @ 04:48 PM — by Michael Green

Divorce and Substance Abuse.  There are times in a marriage where the principal problem that causes a divorce is substance abuse.  It is a sad reality that many families must deal with today in our society.  I have seen many cases where alcoholism plays a major role or abuse of pills such as Oxycotin, which unfortunately often starts out being prescribed for pain relief from a minor issue such as back surgery and results in a full blown addiction, where even rehabilitation often fails.  In cases such as these, the issues of child custoday, parenting time, overnight visitation, supervised visitation are all issues for the Court.  Often, an evaluation or assessment is ordered so that the court may make an informed decision as to what is in the best interests of the children as regarding continued exposure to a parent with a substance abuse issue.  

Getting A Divorce in New Jersey - Seeking Flat Fee in an Uncontested Divorce with a Divorce Attorney or Divorce Lawyer

Dec 16, 2015 @ 04:16 PM — by Michael Green

Getting A Divorce in New Jersey - Seeking Flat Payment in an Uncontested Divorce with a Divorce Attorney or Divorce Lawyer.  If you are, you may want to give us a call, we have free consultations and are available nights and weekends.  We concentrate in divorce and family law matters.  We offer flat fees for limited uncontested divorces, annulments, default divorces and other services.  In addition, if you don't know where your spouse is located and you need to file a motion for publication, give us a call, we have done many, many cases of divorces where the other spouse cannot be located or they are in a foreign country.  We will help you file a divorce complaint and get divorced in those odd situations where the other party has not been seen for many years and you only have a last known address for them.

Family and Starting Off the New Year Right With A Free Consultation with a Family Lawyer!

Dec 15, 2015 @ 06:50 PM — by Michael Green

The New Year is fast approaching, what does it mean to you as regards your relationships, your family and your future.  What kind of New Year do you want to have.  Often these are the kind of questions people ask themselves as another year comes to pass.  What changes do you want to make, what decisions do you have to finally make, where do you see yourself in the next year.  Will you change your relationships, make changes as to your employment, make a conscious decision to try to live life happier, in a better state of mind.  If you want to evaluate your relationships, your family, your employment, where you live, where you are going, you may wish to seek advice of professionals.  It may include speaking with a family lawyer as well, there may be issues regarding a past divorce, children that are going to college, emancipation of children, modification or termination of alimony, 

Can You Still Live in the Same House After A Divorce

Dec 15, 2015 @ 08:46 AM — by Michael Green

Yes and no.  There is nothing in the law that would prohibit it, its more about whether that is such a good idea.  Parties might have unreal expectations as to what the other party has in mind or what might happen that is not anticipated e.g. the other party meeting another person.  Tensions can arise if the parties are now seeing other people or if financial matters kept them together and are still a problem going forward after the divorce.  For some couples, living together after divorce is not difficult at all and they prefer it for a variety of reasons.  Many wish to continue to co-parent and its the easiest way to do it.  Others are just looking to save money after the divorce and reside in the house together for as long as possible or until their children are out of the house.  It can work but parties have to be mindful of who they are and realistic in their expectations of each other going forward.