Share Us On:

Divorce and Child Support - Paying Direct to a Former Spouse v. Paying Direct to the Probation Department v. Wage Garnishment

Dec 22, 2015 @ 04:16 PM — by Michael Green

Child support is generally paid through the probation department of the courts, a state entity, that is essentially a state disbursement unit or SDU.  If the parties agree otherwise, it may be paid directly from one party to the other.  if you are paying through probation, you may pay direct to probation or you may have your wages garnished by probation.  Either way, the money is received from probation and then disbursed to the custodial parent.  The non-custodial parent is paying the child support.  

Generally, a probation account is setup where the parties are advised of how to use the probation account online and how payments are to be made.  Arrears will accrue if the payments are not made timely.  Probation has the power to enforce the courts orders for child support and if it is not paid, the courts may take monies from your tax refund, order a warrant for your arrest and ultimately, arrest you and place you in jail until a certain amount of arrears are paid for.  Driver licenses and other professional licenses may be suspended as a result of non-payment of child support as well.

As family law and divorce attorneys in East Brunswick and Fort Lee we will prosecute your divorce action to enforce your rights as regards payment of child support and arrears that are due.

Comments (0)

Public comments are closed.