Share Us On:


Green & Associates, LLC Blog

Divorce and QDROs, Retirement Accounts, Tax-Deferred Accounts, Pensions, 401ks, Annuities, IRAs, 403bs, Stock Options

Jul 30, 2015 @ 12:36 PM — by Michael Green

In many divorces, equitable distribution of retirement accounts, pensions and tax-deferred accounts must be dealt with.  Tax-deferred or retirement accounts may include 401ks, IRAs, annuities, 403bs or other investment vehicles. In addition, stock portfolios or stock options, some as RSUs or restricted stock options or other vehicles must also be equitably distributed.  What may seem initially as a complex matter can often be broken down into a simplified method for equitable distribution.  If you are contemplating divorce and have questions regarding the distribution of pensions, retirement accounts, tax-deferred accounts or stock options, contact our offices in East Brunswick or Fort Lee at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 for a free consultation.  Nights and weekend appointments are available.  And ask us about our flat fees for uncontested divorces.

Notice of Proposed Judgment - As an Alternative to a Property Settlement Agreement - The Process of a Default Divorce

Jul 28, 2015 @ 07:48 PM — by Michael Green

A Notice of Proposed Judgment of Divorce is a necessary part of the process in a default divorce where the other party is not signing a property or matrimonial settlement agreement and there are issues of child custody, child support, alimony or spousal support and equitable distribution that must be dealt with as part of the divorce.  A Notice of Proposed Judgment is form of the Final Judgment of Divorce that gives the other party notice of the terms of divorce that the plaintiff is seeking at the final hearing for divorce in the final judgment of divorce.  If you are considering a default divorce, call us now at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office or 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office to schedule your free consultation.  Night and weekend appointments are available.


How to Prepare Yourself for What Happens After a Divorce

Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:28 PM — by Michael Green

So, what happens after a divorce.  The reality is there is always good and bad to every situation. But, and foremost, after a divorce, generally the parties now have to support two residences, so there is generally not as much disposable income as there was during the marriage, especially if the parties also have children to support.  The parties may have to get used to a different standard of living that they are not accustomed to after a divorce.  As with any financial planning, your overhead for a residence, transportation and basic necessities must be addressed before you can determine how much you will have for unnecessary although perhaps quality of life expenses.  At Green & Associates, we can assist you in planning for your divorce and what you may expect monetarily going forward.  Please call us at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 for a free consultation so that we can help advise you as to what to expect after a divorce.

Economic Mediation as Part of the Divorce Process - What You Need to Know

Jul 22, 2015 @ 04:30 PM — by Michael Green

As part of any divorce that litigates towards trial, the parties will be Court ordered to economic mediation if the case is not settled after Early Settlement Panel and is heading towards trial.   A mediator, typically a lawyer, will be appointed by the Court, generally chosen by the attorneys involved and the parties will have to pay that mediator for their time.  The first two hours of economic mediation are free, thereafter, the parties pay the mediator on an hourly basis.  

Michael Green of Green & Associates has a wealth of experience in economic mediation and will assist you throughout the process, call us at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office or 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office to set up an appointment for a free consultation regarding economic mediation and how it fits in your divorce process today!  We serve Middlesex, Bergen, Somerset, Monmouth, Union, Mercer and Essex counties.

Depositions in a Divorce Action - When They May Be Necessary

Jul 21, 2015 @ 10:19 AM — by Michael Green

Depositions in a divorce action are infrequent but may be necessary when there are high level fact disputes regarding equitable distribution of property, business valuations, or issues of custody. A deposition is where a witness is placed under oath and is asked questions by an attorney.  A court reporter transcribes.  The witness must state their answers truthfully as they would in a court of law and may estimate but not guess as to facts.  Exhibits may be used as well and referred to in the questioning. Multiple depositions may be taken that include business associates, tax preparers, accountants, business valuation experts, appraisers of businesses or property, parties to the case. If you have a large estate that will require a significant amount of discovery, including depositions, please call our office in East Brunswick at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 in Fort Lee for a free consult.  Night and weekend hours are available by appointment.


Property Settlement Agreements in Divorce - Keys to Settling Your Case Before Expensive Litigation

Jul 17, 2015 @ 12:37 PM — by Michael Green

Whether you wish to settle your divorce case before expensive litigation or intend to litigate hotly contested issues of your divorce, ultimately, unless you go to trial, you will need have drafted a property or matrimonial settlement agreement with all the terms of your divorce.  Attempting to fashion a divorce agreement prior to lengthy litigation may save you time, money and a great deal of emotional distress. Putting together an agreement early on in the divorce process may get the parties talking early on and set the stage for an early settlement of your case.  Call Michael S. Green, Esq. at Green & Associates, divorce attorney and family law attorney, now to set up a free consultation regarding the drafting of your property or matrimonial settlement agreement at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office or 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office.  

When a Defendant Cannot Be Served Directly in a Divorce - Default Divorces and Notices of Publication as an Alternative Process for Serving a Complaint

Jul 15, 2015 @ 04:01 PM — by Michael Green

In those cases where a defendant is no longer at their last known address and cannot be served directly because their new whereabouts are unknown, the Court may allow service of a divorce complaint via publication notice.  These are generally divorce cases where the parties have not been in touch for a long time.  The defendant in the divorce cannot then be served the divorce complaint via personal service through a process server or acknowledgment of service, which is otherwise required by the Court Rules.  

A motion is made to the court requesting publication notice after due diligence to find the defendant has been made.  

If you have questions regarding a default divorce via publication, please call our office to speak to Mr. Green, as an experienced divorce attorney and family law attorney, with a free consultation at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119.  Night and weekend appointments are available.

More on Pendente Lite Divorce Practice - Motions on Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support and Maintaining the Status Quo

Jul 13, 2015 @ 10:51 AM — by Michael Green

At Green & Asssociates, often times after filing a complaint for divorce for our clients, the other party then refuses to continue paying the bills that they have paid before, including the mortgage, property taxes, auto insurance, cell phone bills, and other bills.  The other party may also terminate our client's medical insurance and auto insurance.  None of this is acceptable pending the divorce.  A motion for pendente lite relief may be filed to address all of these issues.

If you believe you are in a position where you will need pendente lite support, contact Green & Associates, LLC at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 and make an appointment at our East Brunswick or Fort Lee offices.  Our initial consultations are free and night and weekend appointments are available.  As an experienced divorce attorney and family lawyer, Mr. Green will fight for your rights!


Family Law Issues That Arise Pendente Lite in a Divorce Or Pending a Divorce And How They Are Generally Treated

Jul 9, 2015 @ 02:42 PM — by Michael Green

During a divorce there are a number of issues that generally arise while the parties are awaiting the finalization of their divorce, this period is generally called the pendente lite period or the period pending the divorce litigation.  Issues of child support, child custody, spousal support and payment for the status quo bills and insurance are issues that confront the parties during the pendente lite period.  Generally, the status quo is to be maintained pending a divorce but there are reasons where that may change.  If you are going to be seeking a divorce and are concerned about what issues may arise when you file your complaint for divorce, please call Green & Associates at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119 to set up your free consultation, so we may speak directly to you about how best to handle your particular issues pending a divorce.

Divorce Services in New Jersey including East Brunswick, Fort Lee and Middlesex, Somerset, Bergen, Union, Monmouth and Mercer Counties

Jul 7, 2015 @ 04:50 PM — by Michael Green

At Green & Associates, we provide divorce services through our offices in East Brunswick and Fort Lee, covering Middlesex, Somerset, Bergen, Monmouth, Mercer and Union Counties in New Jersey.  

Our services include uncontested divorces, default divorces, contested divorces, and mediation-friendly divorces.  In addition to divorce services, we provide all manner of family law services, including post-judgment divorce motion practice, child custody and child support modification, alimony modification, college tuition and expenses motions, and relocation or removal motion practice.

We offer flat fees for certain services and are mindful of litigation costs for our clients.  Call us now for a free consultation at 732-390-0480 or 201-242-1119, we offer night and weekend appointments as well.