Share Us On:


Green & Associates, LLC Blog

Short Term Marriages and Divorce - What Are Your Rights?

Jan 27, 2016 @ 02:39 PM — by Michael Green

If you have only been married for two years or less, you may wish to understand what your rights are in case of a divorce.  Generally, under the new alimony statute, it is unlikely there would be alimony in a short term marriage.  If there are no children born of the marriage then that simplifies things even more in that child support and child custody are not an issue.  If there has not been the purchase of a marital home, then again, there is no equitable distribution of a marital home.  If there are retirement accounts, in the short period of the marriage, very likely, not much has accrued of marital coverture portion and the parties may wish to consider waiving each other's retirement accounts or pensions.  There may be personal items that need to be distributed, such as jewelry or other items.  

When Divorce with an Online Service or Packet Provider Probably Does Not Serve You Best

Jan 26, 2016 @ 12:24 PM — by Michael Green

When Divorce with an Online Service or Packet Provider Probably Does Not Serve You Best.  

If you are looking for a so-called easy divorce or simple divorce or flat fee divorce or a do it yourself divorce, there are plenty of services by non-lawyers out there that advertise a low cost divorce, but you may not be well served by these services if you require a property settlement agreement or matrimonial settlement agreement with terms for a divorce that includes child custody, child support, alimony or spousal support, or equitable distribution of assets or debt.  In my practice, I have seen it time and again, where parties come to me AFTER they have been divorced using a do it yourself service and their agreements and the terms of their divorce are drafted horribly or in a manner that after the divorce causes tremendous problems for everyone involved. 

Divorce and the Snow, Digging Out from All of It

Jan 25, 2016 @ 11:06 AM — by Michael Green

Divorce and the Snow, Digging Out from All of It.  So, maybe you've been closed in for days and you have cabin fever and you've decided, now is the time for you to get divorced.  We're here, our offices are open, the roads are clear and if you wish to go forward with your divorce, you can call us to make an appointment for your free consultation.  Divorce in the beginning of the year is sometimes hard to contemplate, others, think about starting fresh and getting ready for the warmer months.  Its never an easy decision and there are likely factors independent of the time of year that weigh more heavily on your decision.  Regardless, getting started with a big decision is usually the toughest thing to do.  At Green & Associates, we'll run through with you, your options in a divorce.  What can help you best at this time, how to speak to your spouse about this decision and what you can expect in the process.  

Snow Storm and Divorce - What You Might Want To Do Before You Hunker Down for the Winter

Jan 21, 2016 @ 03:35 PM — by Michael Green

Snow Storm and Divorce - What You Might Want To Do Before You Hunker Down for the Winter.  Well, the big one, the big snow storm might be on the way this weekend in the New Jersey area and that brings us to divorce.  When the weather is bad, what should you do if you had planned on getting divorced.  You might want to get that consultation in that you've been thinking about for a long time, before the weather puts it off even longer.  This might be the first snow storm of the season, but you never know what might follow.  Last year at this time, we had about two months of snow before we could pick up our heads again and move forward with those things we had been meaning to get to for a long time. 

Divorce and Substance Abuse

Jan 20, 2016 @ 02:37 PM — by Michael Green

Divorce and Substance Abuse.  Unfortunately, more and more, divorce and substance abuse go hand in hand.  There are many times where one party may have a substance abuse issue that causes or contributes to a divorce.  In those instances, that substance abuse may have to be dealt within the terms of the divorce, especially if there are past instances of domestic violence or if there are children involved. If there are children involved, the court may determine that a risk assessment is necessary to determine if the children should be exposed to the other party in a non-supervised setting or not.  In addition, going forward a party may choose to have a best interest analysis done so that an expert may determine what is in the best interest of the children as regards custody and parenting time.  

How to Make Your Divorce Go Faster

Jan 18, 2016 @ 01:11 PM — by Michael Green

How to Make Your Divorce Go Faster.  First and foremost, don't litigate or fight about the issues unnecessarily or for spite or revenge.  If you wish to get divorced, then get right to the point, work out the issues, whether they are about child support, child custody, alimony or spousal support, equitable distribution of assets or debts, including retirement accounts.  In addition, there are certain procedural things that may be done that will allow the court to work with your attorney faster and get the divorce through faster e.g. personal filing of the complaint may allow you to obtain a docket number right away and allow for the service of the complaint two to three weeks earlier.  Have your property settlement agreement with all the terms of your divorce completed and executed prior to your put through date where you actually get divorced in court.  This way there won't be any last minute surprises.

How a Free Consultation with a Divorce Lawyer or Family Lawyer Can Help You

Jan 16, 2016 @ 11:59 AM — by Michael Green

How a Free Consultation with a Divorce Lawyer or Family Lawyer Can Help You.  There are many prospective clients that ask for a free divorce consultation just to find out what their rights are so they may be better able to plan their future.  Often parties that have had difficulties for years in their marriage may wish some level of assurance as to how things may go regarding child custody, child support, alimony, and equitable distribution of their assets and debts from a NJ divorce lawyer or NJ divorce attorney.  Such a consultation may actually keep them in their marriage and help them to sort out the economic issues so they feel they don't have as much at risk if things don't work out.  It may allow them to better concentrate on keeping their marriage and strengthening it, separate and apart from the economic issues. 

Simple Divorce or Easy Divorce - Is there such a thing?

Jan 14, 2016 @ 12:05 PM — by Michael Green

Simple Divorce or Easy Divorce - Is there such a thing?  If you are amicable with your partner and the two of you have agreed upon the terms of a divorce, you may be able to do either a default or uncontested divorce with or without a property settlement agreement, depending on whether or not you have assets and debts to distribute, children or alimony to be paid.  If you have questions as to whether or not you may seek such a divorce, call our NJ divorce lawyer and NJ divorce attorney, Michael S. Green,  for a free consultation at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office or at 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office.  Ask us about our flat fees for a default divorce or limited uncontested divorce.

FD Docket Cases - How They Differ from a Divorce Case or Matrimonial FM Docket

Jan 12, 2016 @ 12:08 PM — by Michael Green

Generally, FD dockets may be filed by parties with children in a domestic relationship or those that are marred but have not yet filed a FM or matrimonial matter for a divorce. Through the FD docket decisions regarding child support and even child custody and parenting time may be made.  Generally, one part files a complaint and the other party is served.  Thereafter, there is likely a hearing in front of a hearing officer, not a Judge, who is hired by the county to have such hearings, to deal with for instance child support.  Child support will be calculated based on guidelines and the information presented at the hearing that was previously requested regarding income of the parties.  

PostJudgment Motions - Modifications of Alimony, Child Support, Child Custody, College Tuition, College Expenses

Jan 8, 2016 @ 09:20 AM — by Michael Green

PostJudgment Motions - Modifications of Alimony, Child Support, Child Custody, College Tuition, College Expenses.  At Green & Associates, in East Brunswick and Fort Lee, we are a full divorce law and family law practice that can assist you with your postjudgment motions after a divorce such as motions for modification of alimony, modification of child support, modification of child custody, request for college tuition, request for college expenses.  As a divorce lawyer and a divorce attorney, Michael S. Green has many years of experience with many hundreds of divorce cases to handle the needs of your next motion in a divorce case.  Whether you are seeking a divorce that is an uncontested divorce or a contested divorce,