Share Us On:


Green & Associates, LLC Blog

FD Docket Cases - How They Differ from a Divorce Case or Matrimonial FM Docket

Jan 12, 2016 @ 12:08 PM — by Michael Green

Generally, FD dockets may be filed by parties with children in a domestic relationship or those that are marred but have not yet filed a FM or matrimonial matter for a divorce. Through the FD docket decisions regarding child support and even child custody and parenting time may be made.  Generally, one part files a complaint and the other party is served.  Thereafter, there is likely a hearing in front of a hearing officer, not a Judge, who is hired by the county to have such hearings, to deal with for instance child support.  Child support will be calculated based on guidelines and the information presented at the hearing that was previously requested regarding income of the parties.  

Child Custody in a Divorce Proceeding - The Process of Fighting for Your Rights in a Custody Battle

Oct 28, 2015 @ 11:48 AM — by Michael Green

The battle of child custody can be one of the most difficult issues in divorce.  If the parties cannot agree upon terms of custody up front, they may have no choice but to litigate the issue with motion practice, child custody experts and a trial as to the issue.

There are two types of custody, legal and physical.  Generally, legal custody will be shared by the parties, so both parties will have an equal say over the health, education and welfare of the child.  However, if one party is deemed to be incompetent as a parent or must have supervised visitation with the child legal custody may not rest with that parent.  Often these situations arise because the parent is a drug or alcholol problem or has a history of mental illness or other behavior that is inappropriate.

Divorce - Types of Child Custody

Sep 2, 2015 @ 06:09 PM — by Michael Green

Child custody is generally categorized in two ways, legal custody and physical custody. Generally, both parents have shared legal custody, meaning an equal say over the health, education and welfare of the children, unless one of the parties is incompetent for example has a drug or alcohol abuse problem. As to physical custody, the parties may have sole, shared or where one party is the parent of primary residence and the other party is the parent of alternate residence or secondary residence.   Generally, if the parties have equal overnights or time with the children, they have shared physical custody.  One party is generally the parent of primary residence if they have more overnights than the other party.  If you have questions regarding child custody in a divorce matter, please call Green & Associates at 732-390-0480 in our East Brunswick office or 201-242-1119 in our Fort Lee office for a free consultation.  Night appointments are available.